Quite often, looking after yourself when you are running your own business and juggling a busy family life, becomes the lowest priority in your life. At Women Unlimited, we think it needs to be the highest, because if you don’t look after yourself, everything else is likely to fall apart anyway!
So make a promise to yourself now that you are going to make your own health and wellbeing a priority in your life!
Here are some tips to help you improve your health and help you to reach a new and improved you.
- Make it a life goal to obtain a healthier outlook on life which will undoubtedly lead to a healthier you, if you are determined to reach a better state of health, making it a reality will be so much easier.
- Support your new way of thinking by choosing a way that can fit into your life. Exercise is a classic example, don’t assume that you need to go to the gym which can be both time consuming and costly. Find something that you can fit into your day easily. I know we read these things all the time but honestly 10 minutes 3 times a day or 30 minutes at the beginning or end of the day three times a week can really make a big difference. You can use the internet to look for ideas, read books with different exercises, do a DVD, go for a walk and get some fresh air, play a game of tennis with a friend. Just find something that works for you.
- You have to start somewhere so start by taking a look at your kitchen and reorganising in preparation for your new way of life. If you are working from home, get the junk out of the kitchen cabinets, cupboards and refrigerator to make sure you’re not tempted to pick when you’re procrastinating (and let’s face it, we all do it!)
- Replace old food with a new healthier choice. Fresh fruit and vegetables will go a long way to making you feel and look better.
- Make sure you take in lots of water. When I first started out working for myself, my tea consumption increased to 13 cups a day and that was all before 6 o’clock! Water will keep you going and keep your brain fresh.
- Positive thoughts and self talk or affirmations are a necessity; they will give you confidence at the beginning and will continue to take you through the tough times which will often occur during the early changes.
- Make sure that you get the recommended 5 portions of fruit and veggies per day on your new regime, fruit and veggies are packed full of essential vitamins.
- Make sure you learn ways to eliminate as much stress from your lifestyle as you possibly can, there are many ways to do this with one of them sure to be suitable for your situation.
- Cut out excess salt, sugar and fatty foods from your diet, this will effectively lower your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Make sure you give yourself some quiet time. Women entrepreneurs tend to have a lot of additional pressures in their life, kids, partners, friends, community, family, hobbies (we can live in hope!) as well as trying to run a business. With all this chaos going on in our lives, a bit of quiet time will go a long way to helping give you peace of mind and perspective.
Please feel free to add your own thoughts and comment on things that you do to look after yourself when you are working for yourself. We’d love to hear from you.
Photo credit: Photo by Moonwire.