Many people think that having a good website is all you need to get more website traffic. But they are very wrong. In truth, getting traffic to your site takes hard work and diligence and cannot be accomplished overnight. The key is, of course, advertising, because how are people supposed to know where to find your website if you don’t tell them? This, coupled with search engine optimization is key to your website’s success. There are a number of proven ways to get a high website page rank and traffic to your site without spending (much) money. Here are just a few of them to start you off:
If you have a Christian Website, be sure to submit it to all the Christian Directories. (A quick search on Google will bring up the best ones.)
2. Have Dynamic content on your site
Message Board, Links Directory, Guest Book, Online Search, Picture Gallery, Quote of the day, News items, Site Search, Links Engine. These all create a more enjoyable experience for your visitors, and happy visitors come back which equals more website traffic.
3. Make sure you don’t have any broken links on your site.
There is nothing more annoying than clicking on a link and it does not work. There are hundreds of places you can go on the internet that will check your link validity. Make sure you use them.
4. Ensure your META TAGS are done right.
These are key for optimizing your site for the search engines and enabling it to be found. If these are wrong then you could be missing out on a whole load of traffic, and page rank!
5. Submit your site to as many privately run Link Directories/Search Engines as you can find.
These will not generally boost traffic to your website in a major way but will help to maintain a steady stream of qualified visitors whilst helping to slowly increase your website page rank.
6. Subscribe to the Usenet groups for more website traffic and advertise there.
A good place to start is Google Groups, but be sure of the following:
– Submit your site in appropriate groups
– Sign up with a backup email or you will get inundated with spam
– Don’t SPAM. Only submit a write up of your site ONCE to any given group
The chances of your brand new website featuring anywhere in the list for the keyword such as “banner” are extremely small which means you have NO CHANCE of your site featuring anywhere near the top in a search. So how do you get a website page rank and show up on search engines like Google and gradually get more website traffic?
• Firstly, don’t try to compete with a keyword “banner” – as one in 55,000,000, you really don’t stand much of a chance.
• Think “phrases” instead of “words.” For example, if your keyword is ‘dog training’, use phrases such as ‘dog training classes’, ‘how to find good dog training’, ‘techniques for dog training’ etc. As you add more words to the search, you get less results from competitors using the same search terms which ultimately means less competition on your keywords and ultimately more and more traffic to your website.
• Remember, a search engine cannot read pictures. Even if they are very descriptive. Your text must say it all. Search engines index text.
• Your page rank is of critical importance. The site that ranks #1 on Google for “banner” has a very high page rank and that’s why it is #1. Page rank is a VAST subject and it is not possible to cover it in any detail in a few paragraphs.
Basically, the higher your page rank is, the more the search engines will favour the text on your site when people search for those words and the more traffic to your website. (It involves a lot more than just that but for the purpose of this example, it’s good enough).
Obviously, you should have as high a website page rank as possible with 10 being the highest you get. Generally, anything above a 3 or a 4 is considered good. A page rank above 6 is very good and 7 or 8 is exceptional. It is important to understand that website page rank is NOT linear but logarithmic.
As a site moves up in rank, so the competition becomes much fiercer. For example, if you have a page rank of 6 you might be in one of the top 100,000 sites. To get to a page rank of 7, you need to be one of the top 10,000 sites, to have a website page rank of 8 would mean you are one of the top 1,000 sites, and so on. So, the more advertising and optimising you do, the more chance you have of breaking into the higher numbers and ultimately getting more and more website traffic.
Other ways to get traffic to your website include: automated submission software, buying traffic to your website, pop-up and pop-under advertising, pay per click, and redirecting traffic to name just a few. Start with the basics I’ve mentioned above and then carefully research what additional methods you can use to bring more and more traffic to your site and gradually increase your website page rank. And keep at it. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. The result will be well worth the effort in the end.