What’s all the fuss about Twitter
The world is all a twitter at the moment and it looks like this fun little business application is taking over the world.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a free social networking site that allows you to keep other updated with what is going on with you in 140 characters or less – it is also known as micro-blogging. You can do this using your mobile phone, through your own website, from your desktop or through their website, whatever suits you best. Not only can you tell people what you’re doing, but you can keep up to date with what others are doing by following their ‘tweets’.
How to get the most out of Twitter
- Update your ‘tweets’ regularly
- Make sure you are an active participant and follow others
- Add links to your website with interesting stuff
- Download and install a ‘tweeting tool’ – this makes it easier to keep updated with what’s going on and also add your own updates direct from your desktop – I use Twhirl
- Make your ‘tweets’ somewhat interesting otherwise no one will want to follow you.
- Don’t use them just for sales, you’ll quickly lose interest if you do.
What’s to like about it?
- It’s a great way to keep in touch with other people and follow what they’re doing.
- It’s fun – well for those that like this social networking lark
- It can be used to build your network
- It’s easy to use and very quick to put in an update
- You can sometimes ‘hear it here first’ as quite often bloggers will post their new entry on Twitter
- It can make you feel connected to people that you might not have access to otherwise
- If you post an article on your twitter account it can get indexed very quickly
- You can be a bit more human on twitter – but do remember it is in the public domain
- It’s very easy to do
What’s not to like?
- There is a lot of junk out there
- Just more interruptions in our already busy lives
- It can go by the wayside when you’re busy
- You do need to remember to do it – not likely to happen unless you use a twitter client
- Some think it’s just a great time waster
Not enough info for you?
Have a look at these sites to find out more about Twitter