This week we meet Sonia Calvo who has created her company Creating Serenity, a life coach business. Sonia works with people who are suffering with overwhelm, burn out and want to find another way of being, to find themselves again, their fuel and their passions. Having been operating for just over a year, let’s hear from Sonia about her entrepreneurial journey…
1. What drove you to start your own business? What was the turning point?
Having children and working in a 9-5 job which was not very flexible, prompted me to look for a home business. I was also not fulfilled in my job and if I was going to be away from my kids, I wanted to do something fulfilling, which fuelled me and made me a better mum/person. I found coaching which is amazing, and had a calling to share it with others.
2. Who do you admire or look to for inspiration as a business owner?
People that have done it, that have success, that love what they do without losing who they are. Who bring their own values into their business; their passion and energy.
3. What are your goals for your business?
My current goals are to grow my private client base, work with charities and find referral partners I can work with.
4. What would you do differently next time around?
It’s all a learning curve and I believe things happen for a reason. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for all my successes, challenges and failures.
5. What difficulties and challenges have you had to overcome and how did you keep going?
Not everyone understands what coaching is and the huge impact it can have on your life. Educating people about it has been a challenge I had not expected. People can have pre-conceptions about coaching and see it as a luxury, where I deeply believe it’s a necessity. I have kept going by reaching out to as many people as I can; letting them know about what I do and also not letting my emotions get in the way.
6. What legacy would you like your business to leave to the world and your family/friends?
The impact of coaching itself is a huge gift to give anyone. My business has supported, impacted and improved the effectiveness of many individuals and companies.
7. What support did you seek out and what difference has that made to your business?
The support of my husband in using him as a sounding board, my rock when I felt I hit a wall. Also, colleagues and friends for mentoring, coaching for myself, and my business. This has made a huge difference in how I approach challenges, giving me space to do what I need to do for the business and for myself.
8. How far ahead do you plan and what keeps you on track and motivated?
I plan a few years ahead and prefer to have visions, rather than set plans in place, as life can throw you a curve ball and then the best laid plans need to be adjusted. Being focused and having clarity about my goals helps me move to where I want to take the business.
9. What has been one big success that you have achieved in your business?
Becoming a certified coach in support of the industry and my clients and having more skills and tools to support them.
10. What piece of advice has had the most impact on your business?
I invest in myself and my own development, so I have the capacity to invest in my business.
11. What are your top 3 tips for someone who would like to start a business now?
Get clear on your passions, values and the impact you want your business to have.
Be structured with your plans and goals.
Have someone who can hold you accountable.
12. What are 3 books, websites or resources that you would recommend to other business owners?
Ken Robinson – The Element: How finding your passion changes everything
Susan Jeffers – Feel the fear and do it anyway
You can find Sonia and her business Creating Serenity – Here